Carers Week is an annual awareness campaign to celebrate and recognise the vital contribution made by the UK’s 6.5 million carers. It aims to highlight the challenges carers face and recognise the helping hand they give to families and communities throughout the UK.
A number of years ago we were asked to write some content for a carers section on a website for Continence Care products. Up to that point we thought we knew a fair bit about carers but the research we carried out shed a whole new light on the subject. Whilst we’d considered the technical aspects of caring and the relationship between the carer and the person being cared for, we hadn’t really considered the physical and emotional impact on the carers themselves.
According to the Carers Week website:
- Carers can find it challenging to take the time to care for their own wellbeing whilst caring
- Carers are more likely to have physical or mental health conditions and often neglect those conditions
- Carers are more likely to experience stress, anxiety and mental health issues
- Carers often experience physical injury as a result of their caring role
- Carers can often experience loneliness and social isolation which can have a negative impact on health
Default Blue has added a pledge to the Carers Week website to give more support to team members who have caring roles with friends and family and to highlight the contribution made by carers whenever the opportunity arises in the course of our Healthcare marketing work.
Why not visit www.carersweek.org and think about a pledge you could make?