An article on Medium by Ryan Holmes explained why employers should be encouraging exercise during work hours. Whilst there is no doubt that introducing this to our workplace would improve our health and fitness, it begs the question whether it would actually then justify ‘cake culture’ and ‘biscuit binges’!
Introducing exercise into the workday has been found to focus employees, improve productivity and motivate to improve healthcare, it has even been found to reduce absence due to illness.
Here are some tips to reducing sitting time during the work day:
- Take the stairs
- Stand or walk whilst on the phone
- Set a reminder to stand up every 30 minutes
- Get up and walk to a co-workers desk, rather than talking over the office
- Go for a walk in your lunch break
- Walk to the shop, don’t drive
- Offer to make the teas and coffees — we’re up for trying this one in our office!